Happy Billy Hamilton Day!Leave a comment
09/02/2013 by anjru0805
It’s the moment many Reds fans have been waiting for. Today, speedy prospect Billy Hamilton will be in the Reds dugout. Let’s take a look back at some of my favorite Hamilton stories.
- Last season, between Bakersfield and Penascola, Hamilton stole 155 bases, breaking Vince Coleman’s minor league single-season record of 147. Rickey Henderson holds the major league record with 130 stolen bases in a season.
- Hamilton hit an inside-the-park home run and rounded the bases in 13.8 seconds. He even appeared to slow down as he crossed the plate standing up. To put it in perspective, Peter Bourjos rounded the bases in 14.26 seconds last season on an inside-the-park home run.
- Hamilton has twice tagged up from third and scored on a pop-up.
- Hamilton bailed his left fielder out once, racing over from his position at SS and catching the ball on the warning track.
- In high school, Hamilton tagged up and scored from second base on a fly ball.
- In his AA debut, he stole second on a pitchout.
- Hamilton once scored from third on a dropped third strike.
- In high school, playing SS, Hamilton caught a line drive in the right centerfield gap.
Know any more good BHam stories? Share them in the comments!